- Stand with feet hip width apart. Hips point forward.
- Lift lift one leg onto bench as shown in video.
- Maintain neutral spine.
- Grab the dumbbells and place them at your sides. Brace the core.
- Place most of your weight on the supporting leg.
- Drop the knee down until it is 1-2 inches off the ground maintaining a slight forward torso angle.
- At the bottom of the movement the knee angle on supporting leg is positioned slightly behind the toes.
- Repeat for desired number of repetitions.
- Change sides and repeat exercise. Maintain good posture throughout.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions on opposite leg.
The Single Leg Hammer Curl Develops Core, Bicep and Forearm Strength
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand. Feet shoulder width.
- Stand on left foot.
- Raise right foot a few inches off floor.
- Slowly raise and lower dumbbells.
- Perform desired repetitions.
- Switch to standing on right foot.
- Repeat desired repetitions while standing on right foot.
- Stand upright with good posture throughout the exercise.
Modifications: 1) Use lighter dumbbells. 2) Perform fewer repetitions.
Technique: The goal is hip and shoulder stabilization while moving the weights. Modify the exercise, if your body sways or you lose your balance. Avoid arching your back or bringing head and shoulders forward.
A Basic Glute Strength Core Stabilization Exercise For Home or Outdoors
All You Need Is Elastic Tubing
- Attach one end of the tube handle to a secure hook.
- Walk away from the point of origin. The further away you are from the hook, the greater the resistance.
- Place the other tube handle around left foot.
- Place hands on hips or waist.
- Stand on right foot.
- Slowly bend left knee, while raising the left foot off floor.
- Slowly return left foot to floor.
- Repeat on same foot for desired repetitions.
- Switch to standing on the left foot and repeat desired repetitions.
Modifications: 1) Use a lighter tube for decreased resistance. 2) Stand closer to the point of origin. 3) Perform the exercise without the tube. 4) Perform fewer repetitions. 5) Raise foot at a lower angle.
Technique: The exercise becomes more difficult, with a heavier tube, or standing further back from the point of origin. The goal is shoulder and hip stability throughout the exercise. If you have difficulty with stability, modify the exercise.
The BOSU Yoga Poses featured in this video improves balance, core strength, stretches inner hips, and strengthens spinal muscles.
- Begin on all fours position with hands on BOSU.
- Lift up into Downward Dog Pose. Hold for 10 seconds.
- Move forward slowly through Downward Plank. Transition to Upward Dog.
- Hold Upward Dog for 10 seconds.
- Move through Downward Dog into Pigeon Pose by drawing right knee to chest.
- Rest right leg across the BOSU.
- Raise arms upward alongside your head. Look upward.
- Hold Pigeon Pose 10 seconds.
- Remove right leg from BOSU and move into Downward Dog.
- Repeat the entire sequence on the left side.
- Continue for desired repetitions alternating each leg across the BOSU.
- The sequence is completed by returning to Downward Dog.
MODIFICATIONS: 1. You should be able to perform all 3 poses on the mat without the BOSU. 2. Before attempting BOSU Yoga, use balance equipment that is less advanced, such as the foam balance pad. 3. Instead of lifting arms upward in Pigeon Pose, allow them to rest on Yoga blocks placed on either side of the BOSU.
EQUIPMENT: BOSU Balance Trainer
EXERCISE DOs and DONTs – As with all exercise programs, when using exercise videos that appear on this site, you need to use common sense. If your muscles are weak, either do the modifications, or don’t attempt this exercise if it’s too difficult for you. When starting an exercise program, be sure to discuss your plans with your healthcare provider
Lunge To Balance Is A Basic Core Stabilization Exercise That Improves Lower Body and Core Strength
- Stand with feet shoulder width apart with hands on neutral hips.
- Rotate 90 degrees to the right into a lunge stance with right knee forming a 90 degree angle.
- Hold briefly whlile maintaining balance.
- Return to start position.
- Raise right knee while maintaining balance on left foot. Hold briefly.
- Repeat exercise leading with left foot.