- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Tumeric
- 1 Pound Dried Organic Black Lentils, Rinsed
- 1 Cup Pitted Dates, Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Tamari Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Coconut
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Cilantro
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and beginning to brown (about 8 minutes). Stir in ginger and tumeric and cook 1 minute.
- Add 6 cups water, drained lentils and dates, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven into 350 degrees F. Stir in tamari sauce and transfer lentils to a greased 2-quart baking dish or casserole. Cover and bake 30 minutes, then uncover, top with coconut, and bake 15 to 20 minutes longer ,or until lentils are tender and coconut is golden. Garnish with cilantro before serving.
- Serves 8
- Nutrition: Black Lentils are high in fiber and protein. Also known as Beluga lentils, they are fast cooking and do not require presoaking.