- Position your body on hands and knees.
- Place hands under shoulders. Feet hip width apart.
- Draw in the navel and brace the abs.
- Lift the body off of the floor forming a plank position.
- Shoulders are higher than hips, and hips are higher than heels.
- Hold the plank position 15 to 20 seconds.
- Slowly return to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
- Avoid feet collapsing inward, shoulder blades winging or chin dropping toward the floor.
- Sit upright on a bench.
- Position one leg on the bench with kneecap and toe pointing straight up. The opposite foot rests on the floor.
- Wrap a stretch strap around the ball of the foot.
- Draw in the abs and be sure the leg is straight.
- Pull toes toward the knee until a good stretch is felt in the calf. Hold 20 to 30 seconds.
- Repeat on the other leg. Maintain upright posture throughout.
- Avoid slouching, rounding the shoulders, allowing the arch of the foot collapse, or the knee to rotate inward.
- If you don’t have a bench, perform the exercise sitting on the floor with the strap wrapped around both feet.
- For back support, lean your back against the wall.
- If you don’t have a stretch strap, use a thick elastic band.