Hearty Vegetarian Soup
Cooking Tools: Dutch Oven
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or more if needed.
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium rib of celery, chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 14.5-ounce can unsalted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup uncooked quick cooking barley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- salt according to taste
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
- Coat bottom of Dutch oven with olive oil.
- Cook the onion and celery over medium-high heat until golden, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and cook for 10 seconds.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except the Parmesan.
- Bring to a boil over medium to high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer covered, for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the barley is cooked.
- Serve in soup bowls. Sprinkle with Parmesan.